There’s a lot going on in the world today that makes you wonder how we lost our way. When did it become okay to win at all costs? When did we stop being kind to each other? Most importantly, how do we find our way back?
Be Kind. It sounds simple enough, doesn’t it? Then why don’t we do it?
Paying it Forward, Random Acts of Kindness, or being nice to each other. Whatever you choose to call it, you need to make sure you are doing it. Now you may be thinking, how do these random acts of kindness play into my frugal lifestyle? Being Simply Frugal isn’t only about saving money, it’s about improving your life. How much better would your life be if there were lots of kind people in it.
Here are some simple and low or no cost ideas to help you out in your quest to be kind:
1. Compliment Someone – Isn’t it nice to hear that you look nice when you wear a new outfit to work or get your hair cut. Maybe you have a friend or co-worker that has a smile or laugh that makes everyone around them happy. Tell them. A compliment costs you nothing and will make their day.
2. Remember a friend on Mother’s Day or Father’s Day who has lost a parent – Those days can be tough, especially if it’s the first holiday without their mother or father. A simple phone call or check in could mean the world to them.
3. Shop at Amazon – Yes I said Shop at Amazon. Sign up for Amazon Smile and choose from over 1 million non profits. When you shop through the Amazon Smile URL, 5% of the purchase price will be donated to your chosen non-profit.
4. Offer a Cold Drink – Warmer weather is here. On those hot days, offer a cold bottle of water to your mail carrier, UPS man, or anyone else that works outside. A cold drink when it’s hot is sure to brighten someone’s day.
5. Make an Extra Meal. – Do you have an elderly or disabled neighbor. Maybe you have a neighbor who lives alone. When you make your dinner, make a little extra for someone else. Not only will they appreciate the effort, but they’ll enjoy the company when you bring it over.
6. Say “Thank You” – Be kind because you feel it’s the right thing to do, not because you want something in return. However, isn’t is nice to hear thank you when you have done something for someone else. Return the kindness by saying thank you when someone does something for you.
7. Just Say NO to Gossip – It’s so easy to get caught up in the drama of gossip. Be the person to say something nice to get the conversation back on track. If you would be embarrassed to say it in front of the person it’s about then don’t say it.
8. Donate – This one is a favorite of mine. Not only does it enrich someone else, it’s a great way to de-clutter your own surroundings.
9. Ask if You Can Help – Have you ever been in a store and someone looks lost. If you’re familiar with the store, ask if you can help them? You don’t have to be an employee to direct them to the salad dressing aisle. If you see someone struggling to get something off the shelf, get if for them.
10. Leave a Quarter – Leave a quarter in a vending machine or a parking meter. You may think, it’s only a quarter but it will bring a smile to someone’s face.
11. Pay a Toll – I’ve been the recipient of a toll being paid and it always makes me smile. I also never use an EZ Pass because I like to go through the toll plaza. It gives me an opportunity to say Good Morning and Have a Nice Day to the toll taker. They stand there for 8 hours a day. How many people actually take the time to say hello to them.
These are just a few things that you can do to make someone’s day and to improve the world around you. Imagine if everyone you did something nice for did something nice for someone else.
That is how we find our way back.